Required Reading for Upcoming 5th Graders: Wonder R.G. Palacio
Students should be keeping notes about important concepts in the book as they are reading. Please have in writing the following questions and answers:
- What is the setting of the book (location and time it takes place)
- Who are the main characters in the book?
- What is the major conflict (the big problem) in the book?
- How does the book end?
Titles for Suggested Reading: Please read one additional book over the summer from the list below( feel free to read as many as you’d like!!!!) Please follow the same format as above with the four major questions answered about the second book read.
- In the Year of the Boar and Jack Robinson: Betty Bao Lord
- Hatchet (Brian’s Saga #1): Gary Paulsen
- Heat: Mike Lupica
- The Underdogs: Mike Lupica
- Bridge to Terebithia: Katherine Patterson
- Shiloh: Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
- Secret Garden: Frances Hodgson Burnett
- Indian in the Cupboard: Lynne Reid Banks
- Island of the Blue Dolphins: Scott O’Dell
- Stone Fox: John Reynolds Gardiner
- Matilda: Roald Dahl
- Trumpet of the Swan: E.B White
- Phantom Tolbooth: Norton Juster
- Ralph S. Mouse: Beverly Cleary
- Harriet the Spy: Louise Fitzhugh
- Walk Two Moons: Sharon Creech
- The View from Saturday: E.L. Konigsburg
Additional Review for Language Arts and Math Skills: We suggest that over the summer you keep up your Math and Language Arts skills by practicing with these websites and online reference tools. See how many certificates you can get!!!!!!!
IXL Language Arts Grade 4 skills
IXL Math Grade 4 Skill
Math Magician Multiplication Mr. Nolde’s Science Lab coolsciencelab.com
Math Magician Division coolsciencelab.com