The National Junior Honor Society is the nation’s premier organization established to recognize outstanding middle level students. More than just an honor roll, NJHS serves to honor those students who have demonstrated excellence in the areas of scholarship, service, leadership, character, and citizenship. These characteristics have been associated with membership in the organization since its beginning in 1929.
Students who accept membership and are inducted into the chapter should be aware of the time and commitment involved with this honor. For example, there will be chapter meetings. Members also must participate in chapter and individual service projects to benefit St. Patrick School and the community.
- Members will adhere to and support all school rules as stated in our school’s handbook
- Students will wear the ST. Patrick School uniform appropriately and follow all the stated dress code regulations including NUT days
- Students will maintain a minimum of an overall average of 89% with no grade in any major subject below 88% – ( math, social studies, literature, science, language arts, and religion are considered major subjects) Spanish semester grades are NOT included when calculating a student’s qualifying G.P.A. for continued membership
- If a student falls below the required G.P.A. in any major subject, he / she will be placed on academic probation with the understanding that his / her grades will improve to the required grade point average by the end of that marking period or face the possibility of being asked to step down as a member of the NJHS.
- All members will demonstrate respect, courtesy, honor, and integrity within the school community at all times and all events sponsored or hosted by the school or parish. Members will demonstrate leadership, volunteerism, and good character toward their peers and all adult members of the faculty and staff.
- Students must maintain a conduct or effort grade on his / her report card of either#1 or#2 in all classes – including technology, physical education, art, and Spanish. Students who are currently members who receive a conduct or effort grade of #3 or higher will be placed on probation and will have one marking period to elevate this grade to its former level. A student who does not obtain the required conduct / effort grade after that period of time, may face the possibility of being asked to step down and relinquish his / her membership.
- All members should wear their membership pin daily with the school dress uniform (except on physical education days). Students were given a pin at their induction ceremony; if the pin has been misplaced, students may obtain a replacement pin at a cost of $8.00. Pins must be ordered through the faculty advisor.
- Active members will contribute $1.00 per month of the school year for dues. This amount of money will offer us a financial base to support the cost of supplies for our initial service projects.
We ask that parents of members lend their support and assistance as needed for service projects and to encourage their child to uphold these high standards as a member of the St. Patrick School NJHS Chapter. Thank you for your support and cooperation regarding the abovementioned requirements for continued membership.